Thursday, January 17, 2008

Unpredictable 4 yr olds!

So, I'll start by saying my Chloe is a very independent girl. I love that in a girl. She knows what she wants and she can usually figure out a way to get it.

Case in point: Today... she wanted to take her hair bun out. Mommy wasn't around. She figured out her own way of getting it out.

Details: We went into the city shopping. Chloe fell asleep on the drive home. Mommy took her into the house when we got home and put her down on the sofa to sleep. Mommy marveled in how angelic said child can look when she is asleep. Mommy marvels in how when the hair hits her auburn hair just right, it looks like spun gold or hot caramel topping - delicious. Mommy goes upstairs to check her email. Mommy comes back down 20 minutes later. It is still quiet so I assume she is still asleep. I get downstairs, but she is not on the sofa sleeping anymore. I hear her call to me from the bathroom... "Momma, I'm in here". Mommy walks into the bathroom and quickly discovers a sink full of hair and a pair of scissors in her proud daughters hands.

Yes, my 4 year old girl has cut the hair bun out of the back of her hair and also gave herself a nice trim in the bangs that we've (and by we've I guess I mean me) been growing out this year.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I think I did a bit of both. Then she got very upset once she realized her hair was ruined. Then I told her she would have to get it cut into a bob cut like her cousin Erin...then the smile returned.

A little later, while telling my mother what she had done, I hear her chime in: "I cut it but it still looks beautiful."

Maybe she has a career in hair styling.
This is the 2nd time she has done this. Last time she only got the bangs cut before I caught her. This time, its major. MAJOR.

I called and booked her an appointment to have her hair cut (properly) after school tomorrow. Her long hair is history. WAH.

In other news, today we celebrate 6 months Dossier to Veitnam. 6 months closer to bringing our 3rd child into our family. Then Chloe will have someone else's hair to cut too (NOT!)

13 comments:

Carissa said...

Ok for the record I had to laugh!

jamie said...

i can't wait to see pics! :) and congrats on the 6 months! i love reading your updates. :)

Amanda said...

Yikes! But wait, I think we need to see pictures of Chloe's version of a hair cut before you get it professionally cut!

Catherine said...

Uh oh!! Do we get pics? Brave face mommy...you did great! Not an easy thing to see when you walk into a sink full of hair.

Kelly said...

Oh wow!! I hear of little ones doing this all of the time, but I cringe every time. At least it will grow back. I think I would be really really upset. Sounds like Chloe has a great attitude about her new hair. Please take some pictures!

kristin said...

oh. my. goodness. i don't know what i would have done!!!

Chandra said...

Oh no! I'm sure it will grow back fast.

Jen said...

wow! I can't imagine your shock! I'm sure she will be adorable with a short hair cut--my baby sister was always chopping her hair...and today she is a hair dresser.

The Hines Family said...

One of the little girls in my kindergarten class this year decided to cut her own hair--only she cut it about the scalp on one side of her head. So I guess it could have been worse--I'm sure she'll look cute with a little bob! :-)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe she cut her bun!!! No more twirly pigtails for now!!

YAY for the 6 month mark!!! did you do some shopping today?? :-)

Jules and Danny said...

This picture I need to see before you get it "fixed"... I bet she did a great job!! At least you don't have to fight with her to brush it anymore... she'll have great hair all the time, not just when you go into town!?!?

Jules and Danny said...

Oh yeah... and last year in my JK class I was standing about a metre away from one of my little angels (across the table) when she decided she didn't want to cut the activity she was working on and she took two big chunks out of the side of her hair before I grabbed the scissors. Sometimes they do it even when you're right there too!!! hahaha

Tara said...

OMG Leslie - sorry, but I didn't doubt that I felt the need to laugh at first!!! LMAO

That being said, when I just got Noah's hair 'trimmed' last week, I felt so sad because thought they had gone too short....with him trying to grow a 'shag' and all!

So I will have a laugh on your account (but only for a quick moment) because my motherly side will come into play here. I am so sorry - PLEASE post pictures soon! I can't wait to see your little DIVA!!! LOL