Monday, January 7, 2008

Old Dog?

You know the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"... well, I'm thinking that may be true with language. I am trying to learn a LITTLE bit of Vietnamese while we wait for our referral and travel, but it is certainly not easy.

I bought the Rosetta Stone learning program and like it. It comes with head sets with a microphone so you can say back the words and phrases to see if you are anywhere close to using the correct pronunciation. I sound like such a fool. I am determined to keep at it and have promised myself I will do at least 1/2 hr of learning each week day. With months ahead of us I should be able to pick up some things but I'm not kidding myself into thinking I'm going to master this language anytime soon. I do like the program and how it uses photographs to help teach. I've just never been really great with language and failed miserably at retaining any french after many, many years of learning it in school (Canada is bilingual and we learn french in the classroom from an early age).


Thought I'd send you over to Kristin's blog, a fellow VN blogger who shared the news of their referral... I am really excited for her and her husband. They started the process around the same time as us I think, they live in the USA and are with the same agency as my friend Renee, who is adopting from Ethiopia.

6 comments:

Anne said...

Glad to hear you like Rosetta Stone. I have been debating whether or not to buy it, but maybe I should just do it! Keep us posted on your progress with it! ;)

Anonymous said...

oh we want to get the Rosetta Stone for Amharic! I love that the kids can use it also!

Tasha Kent said...

Hi,
Just wanted to say 'hi'. I found your blog on a blogroll of another IA PAP. Like you, I'm officially waiting for a referral (although from a different country), but it's still 'waiting' nonetheless. I have enjoyed reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

Leslie - I just returned from a ten day trip to Vietnam with my MBA class as part of our international studies course. Specifically, I was in Hanoi and the northern region. I learned so much about the culture and history of the people! And of course I thought of you and your impending adoption from Vietnam frequently!! I'd love to chat about how things are going for you and Vietnam in general some time. Hope you are well. Thinking of you...

- Carrie

Carissa said...

I don't know if I have ever told you BUT I love your music selection! Everytime I click a different song that means something to me!

Kristin said...

Thanks for the shout out! You're so sweet to do that...

I really hope you guys hear something very soon! I can tell that Keaton and Chloe are going to be the most amazing big bro and big sis...I'll be following along every step of the way!