Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A new hobby?

My wondeful friend Kerri has intrigued me with her New Years Resolution of learning to sew. It is something I have always wanted to do or try but I am so not brave at trying new things sometimes.
I think I'm going to this time though. We start classes tomorrow night, all we do is take a beginners pattern of our choice and our materials and she provides the machines and expertise to teach us about sewing and how to make these things.

So, that sounds casual and my pace. And a night out with Kerri is always fun.

Now I have to think about what kinds of things I...
1) want to sew/make
2) am capable of doing!

So far I've thought of making a pillowcase dress for Chloe and one for Baby girl too. I also have always wanted to customize some of Chloe's jeans with the bazillion fancy ribbons and twills I have in my scrapbook space. Slipcovers for my sofa and chair is way out of my league but maybe I'll meet someone at the classes (like the teacher) with the capabilities?

What else would be fun to sew and not TOO hard to learn? Any suggestions?

I also bought a new book today called: Becoming a Family by Lark Eshleman, PHD. I am only on chapter one but it seems to specifically concentrate on international adoptions and some of the attachment and bonding issues that can arise, as well as what ways you can promote good bonding with your new child. So far, I like the book. I haven't read much so will give a better review when I'm finished.

2 comments:

angie said...

oh...fun! i have always wanted to know how to sew. i feel like i am the only one who can't sometimes!!

have fun!!

Anonymous said...

So, I guess I won't have to make a quilt for you after all!! you can make it yourself, sewer :-)