Thursday, January 3, 2008

Decisions

2008 is here and all of a sudden we are starting to realize that our time will come. We hope, hope, hope for a referral in the upcoming months and perhaps travel in the Summer sometime. Our plan has always been to bring the kids (Keaton is 7 and Chloe will be 5 by Summer) with us but the more we think about it and examine what is best for us, for the kids and for our baby... I think we have come to the HARDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD decision that we will leave them in the very capable hands of our family. My mother is wonderful and has offered to come and live at our house with the kids (and our dog) while we are away, allowing them to be at home and in their normal routine (although if it is summer when we travel... the routine is basically stay up late and sleep in - bad mommy!)
I think if we take them, it would be a wonderful experience. They'd meet their sister the same time we did... as a family. They'd experience a different culture, a different country and see where their sister spent her early life. But, I think we will have our handsfull and we know we need to put all of ourselves into bonding with our daughter and making her feel safe and loved with us... strangers to her.
Taking them with us meant I wouldn't have to miss them or worry about them AS much. But those are selfish reasons on my part, aren't they? They will be happier at home probably. I have never been away from Chloe and Keaton for more than 7 days. 3 wks is going to be beyond difficult. Shaune has never been away from the kids for more than 2 days.
I mentioned/hinted to Shaune that with all the $ we are 'saving' by not buying 2 extra flights to Vietnam... we could go on a family trip to Disney in 2009... or another Disney Cruise. He didn't comment, but I guess he didn't say no either. ;)

In other preparations for the coming year, I finally called the health unit today to talk to them about what vaccinations we will require or that are recommended for visiting Vietnam. We go in next Thursday to start and apparently need to return for the 2nd part of the vaccine a few months later... then the 3rd part when we return from VN. Talk about lots of needles. She mentioned needing a typhoid vaccine also. The costs for all these needles is crazy... $70 per shot, per person x 3 . Luckily our policy covers it or that would be hurting the pocket book!

3 comments:

Renee said...

That is a super hard decision, but you really have to make the best decision based on what your new daughter needs, you know? I'm sure three weeks is going to be crazy hard without C & K, but so glad you have your mom to take care of them!! I think my mom is going to be taking care of A & D for part of the time, but luckily, we only have to be gone about 7 days. FORGET Disney 2009- we need to plan a beach vacation for all of us!!

Carissa said...

OUCH on the shots. And I would hate to have to make that decision about other children, I don't envy you and know that you will do what is right for you and your family!

S. said...

Don't forget about pertussis...

It is tough to decide about the kids...we are taking M. but leaving L. at home, which makes me feel terrible for him--but there is no way we can meet baby's needs and keep up with him. Like you, my parents will stay here so he will be in good hands!