Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Thumbs Up...

The books I ordered came in the mail today and I have to give a big thumbs up on the children's book OVER THE MOON... Keaton and Chloe loved it and it is a sweet book. It is the story of a mom and dad that dream of a child through adoption. They wait and people keep asking "when"... which they answer "soon, very soon"... until finally they do get 'the call' about their daughter who lives in a far off land of mountains and violets and pretty things. They pack, they travel and meet the people who loved her in her birth country. They come home where family and friends celebrate the child and all she means to the family she is joining. It ends with words (paraphrasing here) like: Forever and always we will be your mommy and daddy. Forever and always you will be our child.

The illustrations are beautiful. The text is fairly generic and never mentions a specific birth country so it is a applicable to many international adoption situations. The child is a girl but the photos are very generic (and whimsical) so you could easily read it to your child/ren and change the she to he.

So, yes... it was a nice book. Love that I am slowly adding to my collection of adoption children books. I can imagine reading this story to my daughter someday... it is so nice to be able to imagine that!

(ps: the other book is looking to be great too but I just started reading it so I'll give you a review once I'm finished.)

1 comment:

Jules and Danny said...

That is a book I have wanted, and now I think I might have to get it. I have a couple of other books, about Vietnam, I borrowed from Bev. You might enjoy these.

I like the Labour of Love book... it is about all kinds of adoption in Canada, which is kinda neat. I would have preferred a more narrative type of writing than the interview style... but I liked the different perspectives.

Julia