Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Thinking about a different stroller

...because lets face it - even if the phone rings tomorrow with our referral - we can expect a 3-4 month wait to travel. That takes us to Chloe's 6th birthday.
To buy the Joovy Caboose tandem doesn't seem that practical and 'necessary' when I remember that Chloe is going to be 6 yrs old (or close to it) by the time she has a sister. Sometimes I forget that my baby CloClo is growing up. So, as much as I think she would enjoy coming along for the ride... there will not be that many opportunities for her to - she starts school and Grade 1 in September and then I will only have my sweet girl on the weekends.

So, with some thought I think I've decided to go with something compact and umbrella stroller-ish but something that is a little 'stylish' and with better wheels than a typical umbrella stroller. I looked again today at the Quinny Zapp in blue and I really like it. The fabric seat comes off to wash from snowy or muddy boots, etc and the price isn't too bad at $230. I am not willing to spend much more than that on a stroller because I've been down this road before and I know how quickly these strollers get banged up and tossed into the back of cars.

My one BIG hesitation is that the stroller seat doesn't recline for a sleeping baby. I don't plan on using an infant car seat with it so I think a 6-12mo old baby falling asleep full upright is not so great.

Sigh. Stroller shopping is hard.
I want this stroller BUT WITH the reclined seat. Does anyone else make something comparable in this price range but with the seat able to go back?? Questions, Questions?!

7 comments:

amy w. said...

That too is my biggest problem when it comes to stroller shopping, none of the seats recline back for sleeping baby... but this company does!!

http://www.bumbleride.com/

And they have adorable patterns. Good luck! :D

Catherine said...

I've forwarded your link on to a friend who is a stroller expert! ;o) I'm guessing she'll have some helpful info for you.

I'm partial to Maclarens. http://www.maclarenbaby.com/global/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,88889669/lang,en/

I was given one of these by a wonderful friend and it's great! Will be better when there is a baby in there but from my test drives it's great!

Catherine said...

PS - When I was at Disney last year I met up with a friend who had a Maclaren. She was easily able to push her almost 4yo with one hand while carrying lunch to the table. It says a lot when a stroller can handle easily as the children grow.

Christine said...

Hey Leslie,
We have a Maclaren like Catherine as well (because Sebastian thought it was owned by the racing car company, but that is a whole other story). I absolutly love it. It is compact, travels well etc!

Letizia said...

If you are looking for a lightweight umbrella stroller that handles well, I would definitely check out Chicco Strollers. We love it since it doesn't feel cheap, the handles were tall enough so that there was no pressure on our backs, nice size basket underneath, folds well and reclines. Infact the length of the seat is long enough for my 5year old daughter to sleep on comfortably and she's pretty tall. We travel alot and our other strollers got pretty banged up but this one has held up well.

Letizia

Anonymous said...

I'm the stroller addict Catherine referred to...I've got 2 kids and I've had enough strollers to serve the whole neighbourhood!lol I do love Maclarens, you really can't go wrong with them. However, of late, I've had a couple of other umbrella type strollers and they have one feature I really like that Maclarens don't provide which is a single U handle rather than the 2 handles. I find the single handle is much easier to maneuver when you only have one hand available to push the stroller and since we often use the umbrella strollers when we travel, I'm often pulling a suitcase as well as pushing a stroller. So if that's an issue, I recommend the Peg Perego Aria - nice, lightweight, seat reclines. However, this isn't a great stroller if it's going to get a lot of use outdoors as the wheels are pretty small and plastic. The umbrella stroller I have now is the Bugaboo Bee. I've never been a fan of the large Bugaboo stroller, but our old stroller lost a wheel while we were on vacation last year and the only store I could find in the area that carried strollers only had this one option. Again, single handle, light, easy to use. More flexible in use than the Perego. If a double handle works for you though, I think Maclarens are still a great bet. Try out a few strollers, walk around with them, you'll see what works best for you. Happy shopping!

Unknown said...

I understood your problem. Like you I was also facing the same problem of reclined seat. I have searched many online shopping website, finally I ended up with Mickey sport pushchair which is having reclined seat and many other best features.