Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy TET

This we've decided is our first of many years to celebrate TET. While I had good intentions of creating a Vietnamese feast from scratch - reality, hockey and lack of time and supplies got in the way. I wanted to do our dinner tonight so I did the second best thing... I called our local Vietnamese restaurant: Pho Viet. He makes amazing Vietnamese and Chinese food and I highly recommend this restaurant for take out if you haven't tried it yet (and live in my part of the world). Alex is from north Vietnam and always asks me about our adoption.

We ordered:
Goi Cuon (aka: Cold Rolls) - Shrimp with pork, vermicelli & vegetables wrapped in rice paper.
Pho Tai, Chin Nac - Rice noodle soup with rare eye round steak & well-done brisket .
Bun Thit Nuong Cha Nem - Vermicelli with spring roll, grilled pork. Served with traditional 'fish sauce'.


Verdict from the adults on our first all-out Vietnamese feast:

Shaune: "That was a lot of noodle". He liked the Pho better than Won Ton Soup.

Leslie: I wasnt a fan of the Cold Rolls and think the Pho broth needs some getting used to. The Noodles with spring roll, veggies & pork was amazing.


Verdict from the kids:

Keaton: He thought it was great. He said he preferred Chinese food but still thought it was pretty great. He would not try the Cold Rolls.

Chloe: Had a lot of fun playing with the noodles and reinacting Po from Kung Fu Panda where he puts the noodle whiskers on his face. She really liked the Cold Rolls with the shrimp, noodle and BBQ pork inside.


I still plan on learning how to cook some of these delicious foods so continue to email me any great recipes you have!

2 comments:

Jules and Danny said...

Growing up not to far from your area I have to say that I am surprised there is a Vietnamese restaurant close by. Hurray for you! And happy TET too!

I didn't mean to make that sound like a Dr. Seuss book, but it just happens sometimes.

We are going to try to celebrate tonight. My first visitor of the day will be my case worker for my LTD to plan my "get back to work plan"... I'm not sure if that indicates good luck and wealth though.... mmmm...

Glad you enjoyed your TET celebration.

Jules

bluefairy said...

Hi Leslie,
I have a few recipies I'll try to remember to email to you. One is Ga Roti (garlicky oven-baked chicken, which will be an easy crowd pleaser) and lemongrass beef!

Happy Tet!
One of these days if you're coming to Ottawa I'll share my fav Vietnamese restaurants with you!

Megan