Friday, January 2, 2009

Hope is here

So, I've decided to give hope and positive thinking a try. I've been in such a downer mood about the adoption the past 3 months and that ... well, that is no fun at all.
We're #2 - that is something to celebrate. We've waited a long time to get this close and we should be celebrating instead of being sad that it is taking so long.
So... I'm going to try planning! I've put everything Vietnam and baby on 'hold' the past year because I didn't want to buy things and plan things that were still so far away. Well, maybe we aren't so far away now and I'm ready to start thinking about travel and baby stuff and baby 'things' we are going to need, etc! I'm excited to start doing this again!

Tonight I started thinking about travel and how we will keep in contact with Keaton and Chloe. It is going to be REALLY hard to be away from them for 3 wks... really hard. I plan on installing Skype on both our home computer and my mother's home computer... as well as our laptop we'll be taking with us.
Other than that, I'm not sure the best way to be 'available' for their calls, etc.
Any suggestions are welcome. I'm trying to plan for something economical (read: cheap as possible) so that the kids can call us if they are having a hard day or have something exciting they want to share with us. I want to feel as close to them as we can without too big of a phone bill when we come home!

I did see this Onesuite.com and it works like a calling card and is (from what I can tell) $0.08 a minute - that is good. I'm wondering if there are other plans like that out there (available to Canadians) and what is best to use.

Anyhow, just starting to 'think' again about this stuff. I can't wait for the day we are bustling around trying to get everything done before we leave!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

yea!! so great to see you hopeful...it has been a long time!!

Dawn said...

I am thinking the same thing! We are planning on Skype also. I have heard AIM and other IM programs, many of which have video capabilities. We bought an unlocked cell phone and plan to buy a SIM card there. We will have that with us at all times and the laptop on while in our room. I want someone to practice with me though for the computer applications beforehand.

Tara said...

I'm so excited for you....it HAS been a long time but you ARE #2 (not 11 or 12). Before you know it, it'll be here and you'll be FREAKING with excitement!!! I have a good feeling about this, Leslie! This new year is going to be an amazing one!!!
*hugs*
tara

Samantha said...

Yeah! Shopping is the BEST. Don't forget photos please!

Catherine said...

How fun that you're able to do some tangible things to begin preparing for baby! Wheee! I'm just starting too and it's wonderful!

Jules and Danny said...

I think Skype is your most ecomonical and reliable method. You get to talk and see each other. Particularly during the time of day when the kiddies will be missing you most... at bedtime. Given the time difference, that will be a great way to start yours and end theirs as they great ready to drift off to sleep. Not to mention the end of your day and the start of theirs. Both of these times you will be in your hotel room. Do you think you'll hear from them other than that?

Anonymous said...

YAY! I can't wait to watch the nesting unfold before our eyes...

We used Skype the entire time we were in VN. There really was no way for our families to reach us - but they did have the numbers to our hotels and our VN agency guide in case of emergency. We were able to Skype just about every night, and it worked beautifully!

Michelle said...

How exciting!!!! Shop, shop, shop girl. I am still using packs of diapers I bought on sale before Aimée was even home. I found the blow up rubber ducky bath an excellent purchase for Vietnam. Aimée is 14 months now and I still use it at home. I bought it at Walmart for around $15.00. Enjoy this time Leslie!!! (I hope we start seeing some adorable outfits again like we used to.)

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Skype is definitely the best way to go!

Anonymous said...

Leslie, We installed Skype and webcams at home, on our laptop, and at grandma and grandpa's house. It worked great for us. We didn't have any connection issues in HCMC, but we didn't have much luck in Hanoi. Of course, that could have had more to do with the hotel than the city.

Congratulations on being right up there at the top of the list and for being able to have such a great attitude about it. I was much more horrible :).