Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Yard Work


...It is something I'm not fond of doing, but when you live on an acre + of property, there always seems to be something needing to be done. The list is ENDLESS it seems and the pool area is my number one objective this Spring... I must get all the wood decking painted/stained and I have 4 out of 5 big flower beds still to tackle within the pool fenced area, amongst other things.

Today I planted some Wave Petunia planters and a Clematis flowering vine to climb up some of the fencing. If it takes well, I plan on buying several. We had Clematis at our first home (climbing up the verandah columns) and it was so pretty in magenta's and purples. Anyhow, ...so much more to do. I'm going to try and buy up a bunch of plants and maybe a Weeping Pussy Willow tree this weekend. I wish plants and perennials weren't all so much money (when you need 5 flower beds worth)!! I'm hoping my brother will come with me and keep me from making any wrong purchases. The pool area is full sun most of the day and I am used to flower gardens that are almost full shade all day (the front of our house) - I am going to need his help.

Another thing I "FINALLY" got around to doing... I finished colour staining our pool shed, the door was the last thing to be finished. I have Gerbera daisy planters in the window boxes and I am crossing my fingers that they live. They look so cute!

Still to do (before pool party season?)...
*finish staining wood privacy fence
*stain decking
*4 flower gardens including large/tall shrubs to 'hide' the propane heating tank
*sew (or buy) simple curtains for the pool shed
*large planters of flowers x 2
*remove river rock from one flower garden and decide if we are sodding it for a play area or firepit spot.
*stone walkway leading from pool area to backyard (I think we will have to pay someone to do this, we just don't have the skills!)

Needless to say, we have lots to keep us busy this summer while we wait on 'the phone call' from our agency. That isn't to say I wouldn't rather hear from them now... but until then - I will keep working at my pool to-do list and hope I develop the green thumb my brother seems to have been born with.

No comments: