Tuesday, May 6, 2008

IA for 2007 and take those bottles back

Thought I'd share some information on where we are with International Adoption in Canada. The following is a partial list showing statistics on International Adoption in Canada from Jan 07 - September 07...

International adoptions by Canadians,
January to September, 2007 (latest figures available):

1) China 524
2) Ethiopia 92
3) Russia 83
4) United States 71
5) Haiti 67

Other Countires: 338
Total International Adoptions: 1,175

A few things I found interesting: China makes up 50% of our international adoptions. I wonder how these statistics will change as other programs become more established and the China wait continues to lengthen? Also, I am surprised that international adoptions from the USA made the top 5, although low in number. Regarding Ethiopia, I was surprised this number wasn't higher, maybe 2008 these statistics will change drastically?

I do know that our Ontario agency did 35+ Vietnam adoptions last year, total. I would estimate that Canada probably had 60-70 max adoptions for the entire year of 2007. That estimate is really just a guess. If anyone knows the actual number, I'd love to hear from you.

Anyhow, found it on a website... thought I'd share.

-----------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I read on a message board that Zellers, Toys R Us and Walmart Canada are accepting all BPA harmful baby bottles... no receipt needed... can be already used bottles - in exchange for a gift certificate or BPA safe/free bottles. That is pretty great I think, so I thought I'd share the news.

3 comments:

Jules and Danny said...

Hey there,
If your agency did 35+ and our agency did 3 non-family and 2(I think) family adoptions... then the answer would be less than 40... although our agency adoptions were not finalized until 2008... so I guess those non-family ones do not count!

There are only two agencies in Canada that do adoptions with Vietnam.
Jules

The Hines Family said...

Yeah...our agency said that sadly enough, they oftentimes have trouble placing African American males in the United States and a lot of them go to Canada. Chances are pretty good that Molly will have an African American brother some day. :-)

On the bottles, have you heard anything about the United States doing the same? I'm going to look into this!

Anonymous said...

Oh thanks for sharing :)