Thursday, February 28, 2008

The word "Soon"

I will just come out and admit it... the wait is getting to me. And we truly haven't been 'waiting' that long. We are about 1 yr into the process. In February or March of last year is when we truly started exploring the possibility of adoption. By April the decision was made, the country chosen and the agency applied to. The year has gone by relatively fast, and yet at times... has dragged on mercilessly. I know we are approaching the part of this journey where the wait will all make sense and the child that is meant to be our daughter will be revealed. An email from our agency that recently included the sentence: "Your turn will come soon" has me on the edge of my seat.

Would it be awful for me to email them back and say "how soon?"... lol, is it too much to ask to know the exact day and month that we will finally know her? Yes, I'm sure that would be bordering on pushy. I need to just sit tight and be patient (not my best trait).

So I sit here day after day wondering how soon is soon? In adoption terms, I know that soon may mean Weeks but it could mean many months too. I'm sure you can all figure out which side of that I hope we fall. Realistically I know we could be well into Summer before we know who our daughter is, but there is so much of me that keeps hoping a Spring referral is a possibility... and Hope is a good thing.

In other news, we are considering either moving or adding onto our house. We built our home 8.5 yrs ago. We built what we could afford at the time and we are growing out of it now. I think with the impending arrival of little Baby Girl, we know that we need more space. Our home is 1500 sq ft with a living room, dining room, kitchen and 3 bedrooms. We REALLY want another bedroom, another full bathroom and a big family room. The only way to achieve this is to move and build new again or to add a 700 sq ft 2-storey addition onto the back of the house. The idea of either seems really daunting but we need to decide soon. I am thinking if we got started soon on this it would be one hell of a distraction to keep my mind busy during this wait. Let's just tear the back off of our house to keep Leslie busy and sane during the wait to 'soon'.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

"soon" Such a daunting word with so many meanings as you and I well know! Praying your referral is soon, quick, imminent...tomorrow! Yes, tomorrow would be soon enough, right?

Until then, have fun preparing for your daughter. Building an addition onto your home sounds neat but based on my post I don't think I'd be wanting to rip the back off your house too soon. But hey, if you do take off the back, open it up, start planning everything that needs to take place then you'd get your referral for sure, wouldn't you?
LOL! You're facing some big decisions. I'm sure once you decide it will be full speed ahead...and beautiful when you're done!

Tara said...

Why NOT....call them to ask what 'soon' means and why not build an addition until 'soon' arrives....why the heck not! It makes sense to me and if it helps you in the process, isn't that a win/win so I say go for it. What's the worst thing that could happen?

Anonymous said...

The waiting is so hard! I'm always hesitant to ask that kind of question, too, but what could it hurt? I see that you're #10 on your agency's list, so it really must be just around the corner, right? Good luck to you and hang in there! -Gina

R&H said...

I know how you feel, we began the adoption process 30 months before we got Elia. The wait was long, it seemed to never end and it was a constant roller coaster of ups and downs until the very end when she was placed in our arms. Now having her for 3 1/2 weeks we would do it all again in a heartbeat. It wasn't easy, but I always believed that it would work out-and it did. Pur your faith in what you most believe in.

Shannon said...

was just thinking about you... hoping your soon comes very soon! And to that little precious girl of yours... all that matters is that it comes eventually! Oh- and building or building on sounds like a GREAT distraction!