Friday, April 25, 2008

Heavy Heart

After months and months of speculation it became official today. The United States and Vietnamese government will discontinue International adoptions this year. I follow many American families blogs and 'know' many families that are now in a position where they have to let go of their dream... they will not be adopting from Vietnam at this time. Although I am in Canada and these things do not affect our adoption, I have a VERY heavy heart about the entire situation. For the families left to figure out a different future for their family, my thoughts are with you. I am saddened beyond belief for you. For the families and children of Vietnam, I feel such sadness also. It is clear that some families in extreme poverty were taken advantage of and thier loss is too devestating to fathom.

For me, in Canada we continue on. I have faith in my agency (there are only 2 agencies working in Vietnam for Canada) and its love for the children of Vietnam... I believe that they truly are finding families for children, and not children for families. Still, I feel as though I've been pulled through the ringer tonight and come out feeling powerless and sad, when adoption is a joyous and rewarding journey. This truly puts a mark on International adoption in general and leaves me with worries I wish I didn't have.

"On April 25, the Government of Vietnam announced that it will allow (US) adoptions to be completed in cases where prospective adoptive parents have been matched with a child and received an official referral prior to September 1, 2008. It further stated that in accordance with Vietnamese law, the DIA will suspend the acceptance of new dossiers on July 1, 2008. On September 1, 2008 any dossier that has not received a referral will be closed and returned to the Adoption Service Provider. In view of the processing time required in Vietnam from placement to the Giving and Receiving Ceremony, an adoption process begun now cannot be completed before the current Agreement expires."

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I cannot begin to fathom what these families are going through or, think of the precious children who will now grow up in an orphanage rather than a home with their own family.

Praying for those affected by this decision.

Tara said...

OH MY Leslie....I have tears in my eyes for all those families dropped in the middle of their dreams. I don't understand and I feel sick just thinking about it.

Please tell me this decision (in the US) will NOT be considered in Canada, will it? I will continue to pray for you and your family. I will pray that will be united with your baby girl soon and that your feeling of worry will diminish with the uniting of your new family member.

LOVE, me!