Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A Louis Vuitton Bag?

I tape "the VIEW" everyday. I love watching the first segments called "Hot Topics" where the 4 (or 5 when Barbara is there) women debate and comment on all things from fashion, celebrities, diet to politics, war & sex. The girls make me chuckle but today I was watching an episode (I think it was a few days old) and the topic turned from Paris Hilton to International Adoption and comments began about how people used to always want a chinese baby and now the African babies are popular and then out of one of the women's mouth came a comment that likened an adopted child to collecting Louis Vuitton bags.

UMMM, What the hell? Then just a minute ago I read on the internet that Sharon Osborne made a similar comment. Chris Rock has made inappropriate comments on Oprah once too.

Do they really believe or know what they are saying? They are talking about CHILDREN. Children... not fashion accessories. It made me want to vomit and it saddened me to think that some people think that couples/families chose to adopt because it is 'becoming trendy' or 'the thing to do'. Every families story is different as to why they adopt but I don't know of anyone who would go through the trials, waits, uncertainties & emotional highs and lows of adoption because they wanted to be trendy.
I hear dumb stuff almost every day regarding adoption but this one takes the cake.

Why is adoption such a mystery to many? Why can they not see these children and know. Why is loving a child that is not biological linked to you so difficult to understand? Why do we have to label it and judge it and question it? Why can't it just be what it is... a way to form a loving family, to bring a child and a family together? Why?

Vent over.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally posted this on my blog too! I even sent an e-mail to "The View." So annoying!! Good comments--I totally agree!

Catherine said...

I just don't get how comments like those can be at all right to the person who said them.

I used to watch the view too and taped it faithfully but about a month ago somebody just went waaay across the line for me so I stopped. Haven't missed it and am now enjoying Ellen instead.

Ugh...why are some people so insensitive???

Unknown said...

It's sad enough when you hear things like this from a stranger in the grocery store. But to know that this was said on National TV, on a show that is watched by millions of impressionable and naive people who may just take what they say as gospel is so frightening and awful. You would think that someone with as much experience as it would take to become a celebrity on the view would know how to not make insensitive comments. It is bad enough that the media spends hours on end each day publicly trashing the lives of celebrities, but why would they go out and insult innocent people who want nothing more than to be part of a loving family. AAARRRRGGGH... and that is my VIEW. At least now we know where the ignorant people at the grocery store get it from.

Jill and Jaap said...

It is so bleeping frustrating hearing things like this.

Tara said...

BRAVO Leslie - congrats for taking a stand. You know this is something I've subconsiously thought about - but never really brought it to my forethoughts.... thanks for commenting on this!

Emily said...

i tivo the view everyday too..and i heard that episode. i thought it was a very insensitive comment. clearly none of them have been touched by international adoption.
argh.

Living to Love said...

I have been contemplating posting about this subject recently. I tend to stay away from controversial posts but this has pushed a button in me. hmmm?