Saturday, June 6, 2009

We made it!

Wow, the past 24+ hrs are a blur. 16 hrs on our first flight and 2.5 hrs on our 2nd flight. It was okay but I did get antsy and couldn't sleep - even after taking 2 sleeping pills. Full of adrenaline I guess. I managed a 1 hour sleep on the 2nd flight (Hong Kong to HCMC).

We checked into our hotel a couple hours ago. It is nice and comfy with laundry in the room (handy) and a full kitchen. We ordered room service from Highlands' Coffee and it was delivered fresh (and very tasty) 15 minutes later. I thought of Keaton because we ordered shrimp fried rice and that is one of his favourite foods (rice, rice, rice!)

We've unpacked all of our clothes and put them in drawers. We rearranged our 2 suitcases full of donations as we are dropping those to the orphanages tomorrow.

We get Meg tomorrow! We are leaving the hotel sometime around 7:30am and head to Vung Tau which I think is about 2.5-3 hrs drive each way. There are 4 families going - so exciting! Renny and George have a daughter they will be getting from the Vung Tau 3 orphanage in Ba Ria, Vung Tau. Another couple is adopting beautiful twin girls and I think they are at Vung Tau 1. Jennifer and Brad are also coming along tomorrow - they have a daughter at Vung Tau 1 also.

...and then there is Meg! We will go to her nounou's house I believe to meet her nanny and learn about her schedule, personality, likes and dislikes, etc.

We've packed our little diaper bag and a comfy change of clothing to bring her home in. Guess work is what I'm going on to try and pick something that will fit her - we have no idea how big she may have grown in the past month since our last update.

Arriving here the heat hit us immediately...and it was early evening by then. The traffic is also something else. Our big van rode amongst a sea of mopeds and motorbikes. I will have to video tape the action because it is amazing. Whole families are piled on as they weave in and out of the traffic. It all seems to flow though somehow, although it was terrifying to watch as a mom drove by with an infant infront of her and a toddler holding on the back of her. Zoom!

MUST SLEEP.
I will do my best to update (with photos hopefully) tomorrow evening once we have Meg and are settled in a bit. It's baby time!

13 comments:

Diana said...

Just talked to your Mom!! Glad you made it safe and sound!! I am thrilled. Get some sleep ( if possible) because tommorrow is so close. Meg will be in your arms so soon!! Can't wait. Sending love and patience on your journey to Meg. That will be the longest car ride of your life. I'm sure!!
XO

Tara said...

WOW, oh WOW....I am SO excited for you Leslie! Get to sleep and best of luck looking into your daughters beautiful eyes tomorrow!!!

Chandra said...

How exciting! I can't believe you're finally in Vietnam. Sorry you weren't able to sleep on the plane, hopefully you'll be able to get lots of sleep tonight before the big day!

I can't wait to hear from you tomorrow. I know it's going to be a hard and wonderful day all in one. I'm sure there will be lots of tears at the Nounou's house, but just think of how much love your little girl has been getting!

Kelli said...

Glad you made it safely. Can't wait to see those pictures!!!

Melanie said...

Your post brings back such powerful memories of the nights before each of my children were born - the excitement, nervousness, joy, amazement, you name the emotion as I realized that my life was going to be changed forever by their very existence. I will be thinking of you both tomorrow as this very lucky little girl is placed in her parents' arms tomorrow for the first time.

Brian & Nicole said...

Good luck trying to get some rest tonight. There will be plenty of time to catch little cat naps with Meg once she is in your arms.

Tonya said...

YAY!!! I am so thrilled for you! Can't wait to hear more!!!!!!

Tonya

Jules and Danny said...

Glad you made it there safe and sound. It's supper time here on Saturday, so you are probably just getting yourself ready to go and meet Meg... or you are just about to wake up (although I'm betting you've been awake for a while in anticipation).

Enjoy the trip to meet her, enjoy the time with the other families, enjoy it all... soon little Meg will be in your arms and we will all be waiting for pictures and updates!
j

Renee said...

Leslie, i can't believe tomorrow is the day!!! I hope you get some sleep tonight!!

love ya girl!

Samantha said...

You are wonderful to take the time to share with us!

Christine said...

So glad you arrived safely! I cannot wait to hear all about your day and see pictures of Meg!

Catherine said...

YAY!!!!!! Just checking out your Vietnam clock in your sidebar and realizing that you're within hours...HOURS of meeting Meg!!! Praying for you even now as you prepare. What excitement and fun lies before you! Congratulations friend. TODAY is a day when dreams come true!!

Sandra & Steve said...

so happy for you, this brings back so many lovely memories, great that you have a group there, that made it special for us too. Cannot wait to see pics of Meg in your arms!