Sunday, September 2, 2007

I need reference and resource book recommends...

Which books have you read dealing with international and/or transracial and transcultural adoption? I have a lot of them bookmarked at Amazon.ca (free shipping over $39...can't beat that) and want to start reading up more. Problem is I don't want to buy them ALL and I don't want to buy any that aren't helpful. Our library isn't the best and I owe them money - ha. I'd like to buy the books new or used so I can take my time reading them & then Shaune can read them as well.
If anyone has read any you think would be helpful to me (or have read some you think are 'duds') please let me know which ones. If anyone has any they'd like to sell used, let me know too.

3 comments:

Anne said...

The books that we have on our shelf that we reference frequently are Raising Adopted Children by Lois Melina, and Adoption Parenting by MacLeod and Macrae. Another one that I found to be good for us and especially helpful for friends and family is Cross-Cultural Adoption by Coughlin and Abramowitz. I am also wanting to read books like Finding Katherine by Ellen Fitzenrider. You might already have When You Were Born in Vietnam by Therese Bartlett--that is a must have!

Mary said...

I will second Adoption Parenting - edited by MacLeod and Macrae.
If you are interested in books from and about Viet Nam I put together an Annotated reading list about a year ago. It is on the APV Yahoo site in the files sections and is also available on the CB member's section under Recommended Reading.

If you don't have access and would like a copy let me know and I would be happy to email the list.

Mary

C said...

While not directly related to transracial adoption, I would highly recommend "The Open Adoption Experience." It will give you insight and education into the importance of your child's birthfamily in their life and heart (whether or not you ever have direct contact with them). It will help you be a much better parent to your child.