Thursday, September 27, 2007

Airline Miles/Points/Etc

I have been thinking it would be wise of us to figure out some sort of system that earns us travel/airline miles so we can start earning toward our flights to Vietnam. I am in Canada so there probably are different options for different countries, but for anyone that has a system in place, I'd love to hear it. I need suggestions of what will work best for us.
I am assuming I do not want to go with one airline specifically since we have no idea who we will fly with, etc.

Flying to Vietnam will be myself, my husband, my mother and our 2 children (age 5 & 7 by then). So, that is a lot of $ and a lot of miles to save up for. I know we won't be able to earn much before we travel (which now looks like it could be another 11 months away) but even buying the 5 tickets will earn us a lot of air miles, right? Perhaps toward a future trip as a family, if nothing else.

Advice - please :)

4 comments:

PaulaBrett said...

Hi Leslie,

We are collecting aeroplan points. They are good for Air Canada flights. We realized that there was no way that we could actually use these points to go to China (it's very hard to get specific dates etc and they need to be booked quite far in advanced.) But non the less we have been saving them and in the 5 years since we started we've been able to book another prebaby holiday. Only one of the flights but it is saving us $2600.
We've also been saving Airmiles and it still looks like we'd have another 20 years of saving before being able to get to even New York.
If you are flying Air Canada to Vietnam you will automatically get points but every person will need to have their own aeroplan card. We have an Aeroplan Visa card so whenever we use it we collect them that way as well.

Hope this helps.

Paula

Emily said...

hey!
you asked abt my camera. i was given a nikon d80 for my 30th birthday. it is my baby! i just love it.

as for the miles..my hubby and i have signed up for a credit card that gives us tons of miles. we are hoping we can upgrade. with one week advance notice, it will be expensive!

Jenn said...

Hi Leslie,
Yes the wait is SOOO hard. Thanks for commenting on my blog so that I could find yours!
Here's to quick referrals for both of us.

Anonymous said...

are you for sure taking the kids?? nice!