Sunday, August 26, 2007

Home decorating...









My background is Interior Design. I haven't practiced as a designer in MANY years but you would think I could be more 'with it' when it comes to decorating a simple little bedroom. I have put so much thought and internet research into Chloe's (and baby girl Lightfoots) new bedroom that I will be glad when it is just all finished.
My mom (my lifesaver) watched the kids friday night and all day saturday for us. We took advantage of it and got up early Saturday to head to Toronto (a 2+ hr drive) for some shopping - and to make a final decision on bunk bed quilts, etc.
The decision was made for us (it saved me having to decide) when we got to Yorkdale and Pottery Barn Kids was CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS. Lol! That is just our luck. We actually had stopped at IKEA on the way to Yorkdale and had pretty much decided on this bedding: http://www.kukunest.com/browse_lantern.php ...mentioned in a previous post and shown above. Chloe loves it and after reading more about Vietnamese lantern festivals, I thought it would be a perfect blend of Asian culture and Chloe funky :) I ordered the sets today and can't wait for them to come.
Chloe's room is almost finished now and we are waiting for the bedding now to come so we can see if the yellow walls will have to be repainted to match better. I'm secretly hoping it all looks great without painting the walls. So is Shaune ;)
At Ikea we got the cutest pink storage boxes for under the bunk beds and some funky pink flower lights for the walls, as well as duvets for her new bedding. I finished painting the bunk beds (whew!) & my dad came down today and put together her other furniture that matches the white beds (a beautiful armoire with mirror that Lynn & Larry gave us). When the room is totally finished I will take some photos. I think I'm going to like the new bright colours.
Excited that we are almost finished it. I also saw a nice white cot/crib at IKEA for only $119 if we end up with a referral for a young baby - I gave our crib away earlier this year to my cousin :)
Things keeping me busy like this are good. Helps the time go by... sorta faster.
PS: If anyone in Canada knows of a site (or a store) that has colorful paper lanterns (globes) I want to buy 3 to hang from the ceiling (i'm thinking pink, red & orange) but don't know where to find them. All my internet searches take me to the USA and buying in bulk.

11 comments:

Ange said...

I've only seen them in Toronto, Kensigton market. Near Dundas & Spedina. Almost all of the stores have them there.

If you are in Toronto again, you should go wandering through the markets there (better known as "China Town"). It would be neat for your kids to see all of the different foods, clothing, decorations etc.

try to go while it's still warm out though.

Jo said...

I love that bedding, I think I am going to order it for when my daughter is older. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

i think that is my favorite bedding- i have that booth pic saved for ideas for cha :-) i can't wait to see the room all finsihed!! If we can find any lanterns here, i can mail them to you..

Catherine said...

I wish I had known! I was at the EX last week and I'm guessing they would have had them there. I bought Chinese parasols last year to hang in the corner of Hannah's room. If you happen to go to the Ex this weekend you might find them there. Either that or at the large Kennedy/Steeles shopping complex.

The girls' room is going to be beautiful!!

Jill and Jaap said...

LOVING the room!

Melanie said...

do you have pier 1? i know they always have lanterns. :) love what you've done with the girls room.

Leslie & Shaune said...

Never thought of Pier 1 - yes we do...
my friend actually found some at a $ store in my area so I'm going to go look at them today. If not, Pier 1 ..here i come :)

R&H said...

I love that bedding set!
We got cloth vietnamese lanterns from www.worldmarket.com
They are beautiful and bright!
Heather
tovietnam.blogspot.com

Krista said...

I have seen them in China town(Toronto) They had many different styles. I haven't been in a while but I'm sure they are still there.
I think there is an adorable childrens store in yorkdale as well. i will try an get you the name.

Krista said...

I was thinking China town(T.O) I have seen some beautiful styles there. Haven't been in a few years but I'm sure you will find some.

Diana said...

ebay les... I have seen them there